by Lauren Myracle
Interest Level: 4th Grade and Up
I was EVER SO fortunate enough to get my hands on an advanced copy of Lauren Myracle's newest book so that Ashlynn and I could read it. I have to be honest and say that I loved, loved, LOVED this book and think it will be a hit with every 4th-7th grade girl who gets her hands on it. (I think some of the older girls will love it too--I am 42 and I thought it rocked!) As soon as it is published, I will order a couple of copies of it for both of the Pettus libraries. (Psssst for now, though, if you ask nicely, I'll let ya borrow my ARC!)
This is the story of four fifth grade girls named Violet, Katie Rose, Camilla and Yasaman. They don't have a whole lot in common with each other, but they are each going through their own private misery, and drama ensues when their paths cross and their stories merge.
It's also the story of Modessa and Quin, but I don't want to talk a lot about them, because they are SO INCREDIBLY hateful that I don't want to waste my time on them! (If you've seen the movie "Mean Girls" think Regina George and you've got the idea)
I don't want to give away any of the story, and if I write too much, then that's exactly what I'll end up doing, so I'll just say that this book is for you if:
- You are a "tween" girl or older
- You have ever had to deal with a mean girl
- You have ever felt like you don't fit in because of your family, your religion, the color of your skin, or for any other reason at all
- You are clumsy and awkward (even just a little)
- You are popular, but you're afraid people will find out you're really a dork on the inside
- You like chatting online with your friends
- You want to have a MySpace of Facebook but you're not old enough and your parents won't let you
- You've read TTYL, TTFN, or L8RG8R (There's a tiny cameo appearance by one of the minor characters from that series)
- You like to laugh
I have already said it, but I really loved the book. Lauren Myracle is one of my favorite authors of books for teens and tweens. She does such a fantastic job of capturing the voice and emotions of her characters that the reader develops a personal relationship with each and every one of them.
I predict this one will be a HUGE HIT! You did it again, Lauren!! You rock!!!!!!