Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Thirty Books, by Mrs. Schauer

So I had one of my former second grade students, Kathy Mireles, from Skidmore, post a link to the "Thirty Day Book Challenge" on my Facebook wall this morning. I loved the concept, but knew I would not follow through with posting a single book each day. Then I had a great idea--post my answers on the high school blog!

Anyway, I'm here in the library, and I have a gazillion things to do, which is par for a librarian in the summer. The main thing I never fail to miss getting around to doing is procrastinating. :) At first, I thought completing this book list was yet another effort in procrastination, but now that I'm incorporating it into my high school blog, and not JUST on Facebook, it's part of my job duties!

My hope is that a few people will add their own thirty books to the comments section...hint, hint! I doubt anyone will though; I'm so bad about not keeping up with the blog, that I don't think many people check it anymore. Anyway, here are my answers....

1-Your favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

2-Least Favorite Book: Anything by Charles Dickens. Blech!

3-A Book that completely surprised you: (bad/good) The Help, by Kathryn Stockett. I didn’t know anything about the premise and the title made it sound like a self-help Book

4. - A Book that made you laugh out loud: Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, by Christoper Moore

5- A Non-fiction book that you actually enjoyed: It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families, by Robie Harris

6- A Book that makes you cry: Far From You, by Lisa Schroeder

7- A Book that’s hard to read: The Host, by Stephenie Meyer

8- A Book you want to read, but never have: The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins

9- A Book you’ve read more than once: The Life of Pi, by Yann Martel

10- The first novel you remember reading: Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott

11- The Book that made you fall in love with reading: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, by Mark Twain

12- A book so emotionally draining you couldn’t complete it or had to set aside for a bit: Living Dead Girl, by Elizabeth Scott

13- Favorite childhood Book: Are You There God, It’s Me, Margaret, by Judy Blume

14- Book that should be on hs/college required reading list: Crank, by Ellen Hopkins

15- Favorite book dealing with foreign culture: A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini

16- Favorite book turned movie: Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell

17- Book turned movie and completely desecrated: My Sister’s Keeper, by Jodi Piccolt

18- A Book You can’t find on shelves anymore that you love: Little Dream, by Cynthia Leonetti

19- A Book that changed your mind about a particular subject: Nineteen Minutes, by Jodi Piccolt

20-A Book you would recommend to an ignorant/racist/closed minded person: Dinner With a Perfect Stranger, by David Greggory

21-A guilty pleasure book: Does the Noise In My Head Bother You? By Stephen Tyler

22-Favorite Series: Left Behind by LaHaye, Jenkins

23- Favorite Romance Novel: Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen

24 - A Book you later found out the Author lied about: Go Ask Alice, by Anonymous

25-Favorite Autobiographical/Biographical Book: Three Little Words: A Memoir, by Ashley Rhodes-Courter

26-A Book you wish would be written: The Gospel According to Mary Magdelene

27- A Book you would write if you had all the resources: Teresa Schauer: A Memoir J

28- A Book you wish you never read: I can’t think of one

29- An Author that you completely avoid/hate wont read: I don’t have one of these…

30 - An Author that you will read whatever they put out: Patricia Polacco

10 comments:

  1. I love this list. I think I'll work on my own list to share on my school webpage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite book as well. It is my daughter-in-laws favorite book also. She named my granddaughter Harper after Harper Lee. I have not yet had the guilty pleasure of reading Stephen Tyler's book, Does the Noise in My Head Bother You, but I intend to do so. A great list of recommended books.

    Since this is a school library blog, indulge me as I mention my book, What Would You Do? A Kid's Guide to Staying Safe in a World of Strangers. It is meant to empower children to take a proactive role in staying safe from abduction and predator harm. There is a chapter in it for parents and teachers as well. The book is available through the publisher, Headlilne Books, Inc. and through, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million, Follett, and Baker and Taylor. Additional information about the book, endorsements of it, and useful resources and links for parents and teacher, and for children can be accessed at the book website, Melissa Harker Ridenour Books - www.AuthorMelissaHarkerRidenour.com.

    I would appreciate followers and/or subscribers to my blog on child safety - http://childsafety-melissa.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'll have to work on that one...yesterday, I bought "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard. I read the whole thing in one day. It was hard to read, but I couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so neat! I will do my own list & post it to my blog--thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol--I am going to get that one. I'm finishing up LAMB, by Christopher Moore. You MUST read it. I have laughed so hard reading it. Fallon, please share you list here as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so much fun to create - thank you!

    http://marciazsoe.blogspot.com/2011/07/1-your-favorite-book-to-kill.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Your favorite book: too many to pick just one, but maybe The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblowski
    2. Least favorite book: A Child Called It
    3. A book that completely surprised you (bad god) Perdido Street Station by China Melville. Had no idea I would enjoy dystopian fantasy/horror so much.
    4. A book that made you laugh out loud: A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck
    5. A non-fiction book you actually enjoyed: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
    6. A Book that Makes You Cry: Where the Red Fern Grows
    7. A book that’s hard to read: If this means difficult, Anna Karenina, but worth the trouble
    8. A book you want to read but never have: The History of Love by Nicole Kraus
    9. A book you’ve read more than once: Anna Karenina
    10. The first novel you remember reading: Charlotte’s Web but I’m really not sure
    11. The book that made you fall in love with reading. Ummm, Charlotte’s Web and Charlie and the Chocolate Factoy, but maybe it was really Stephen King’s Carrie
    12. A book so emotionally draining you couldn’t complete it or had to set it aside for a bit: My Sister, My Love by Joyce Carol Oates (worth reading but extremely disturbing)
    13. Favorite childhood book: Charlotte’s Web
    14. Book that should be on high school/college require reading list: To Kill a Mockingbird
    15. Favorite book dealing with a foreign culture A Thousand Splendid Suns
    16. Favorite book turned movie: three way tie between: Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and Gone with the Wind
    17. Book turned movie and completely desecrated: Blood Work by Michael Connelly (sorry Clint, but you ruined it)
    18. A book you can’t find on shelves anymore that you love: can’t think of one
    19. A book that changed your mind about a particular subject: Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson, enlightened me
    20. A book you would recommend to an ignorant/racist/closed minded person: To Kill a Mockingbird
    21. A guilty pleasure book: anything by Stephen King
    22. Favorite series: The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo by Steig Larsson
    23. Favorite romance novel: Gone with the Wind
    24. A book you later found out the author lied about: Go Ask Alice
    25. Favorite autobiographical/biographical book: The Diary of Anne Frank
    26. A book you wish would be written: Ask a Teacher Librarian
    27. A book you would write if you had all the resources: What Happened After I Won the Super Lotto
    28. A book you wish you never read: A Child Called It
    29. An author that you completely avoid/hate/ won’t read: R.L. Stine and James Patterson
    30. An author that you read whatever they write: Joyce Carol Oates (someday I might read them all, she is prolific)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing, Nacho Mamma! It's so awesome to read everyone's lists!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am posting this on behalf of one of my students who just graduated. He is the only person his age I know that absolutely LOVES classic literature. Maybe that's why he tested out of three English classes with his AP scores. :)

    1. Favorite Book- "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo
    2. Lest Favorite Book- "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte
    3. Book that completely surprised me- "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck
    4. A Book that made me laugh out Loud- "The hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams
    5. A nonfiction book I actually enjoyed- "Dragons at war: Land Battles in the Desert" by Daniel P. Bolger
    6. A book that makes me cry- "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls
    7. A book thats Hard to read-"War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy
    8. A Book Ive wanted to read, but never have- "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet
    9. A book Ive read more than once- "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoevsky
    10. The first Novel I remember reading- "Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell
    11. The book that made me fall in love with reading- "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling
    12. A book so emotionally draining I had to set it aside for a while- "Schindler's List" by Thomas Keneally
    13. Favorite Child book- "Green Eggs and Ham" by Dr. Seuss
    14. A book that should be on HS/College required reading lists- "Ulyses" by James Joyce
    15. Favorite Book dealing with a foreign culture- "The Aeneid" by Virgil
    16. Favorite Book turned Movie- "The Lord of the Rings: The fellowship of the Ring" By J.R.R. Tolkien
    17. Book Turned movie and completely Desecrated- "The Chronicles of Narnia"(All of them) By C.S. Lewis
    18. A book I cant find on Shelves anymore that I love- "Vacuum Diagrams" by Stephen Baxter
    19. A book that changed my mind about a particular subject- "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes
    20. A book I would recommend to an ignorant/racist/closedminded person- "The Inferno" by Dante :)
    21. A guilty pleasure book- "Contact Harvest" by Joseph Staten
    22. Favorite Series- "Harry Potter"
    23. Favorite Romance Novel- What are these things?
    24. A book that you later found the Author lied about- Ive never had the displeasure
    25. Favorite autobiographical/ biographical book- " The Right Stuff" By Thomas Wolfe
    26. Book I wish would be written- "The life and times of a toothbrush maker in Soviet Russia"
    27. A book I would write if I had all the resources- "1000 ways to Beat you on Xbox"
    28. A book I wish I never read- None at all
    29. An Author I completely hate and wont read- Edward Stratemeyer
    30. An Author I will read no matter what they put out- Stephenie Meyer
    Well there you Go Mrs. Schauer. :)

    ReplyDelete