Monday, April 7, 2008

DAIRY QUEEN, by Catherine Gilbert Murdock Posted by Mrs. Schauer

DAIRY QUEEN, by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
AR: Yes
Vocabulary Quiz: Yes
Interest Level: Middle/Upper Grades

I have had this book on the shelves since I came to this library, but no one has ever read it. I had heard a lot of good things about it, but never took the time to read it. Well, I finally read it and I loved it! I put a different cover here--because I think this cover makes you want to read the book more than the cover that's on my library copy--it's got a picture of a cow.... In any case, this is a great book--it's about the summer of a 15 year old girl named D.J. who lives on a dairy farm. She's not very popular and she doesn't consider herself as pretty--she more of a jock. Her life is forever changed when Brian Nelson, the star quarterback for a neighboring school comes to work on her father's dairy farm. They develop a friendship, that starts to turn in to more...or at least it almost does. Brian kisses her one day and she is so shocked that she jumps up and gives him a bloody nose! The drama really starts to unfold when D.J. decides to try out for the varsity football team...I'd tell you more, but then you wouldn't need to read the book! Like I said, I loved this book, and am currently reading its sequel, THE OFF SEASON.



1 comment:

  1. Loved it! I loved the way it was written what with all those run-on sentences and such!!! It really "sounded" like a teenage girl. Very enjoyable. Great story, too!

    ReplyDelete