Friday, December 21, 2007

Thirteen Reasons Why, Posted by Mrs. Schauer

Thirteen Reasons Why: A Novel
Jay Asher
AR: Yes
Interest Level: Upper Grades
Audiobook Available in HS Library

This book opens with an anonymous person mailing a package--a package that is delivered to Clay's doorstep. Clay opens the package to find seven audio tapes--thirteen sides of which are filled with the voice of Hannah Baker, a girl who has committed suicide. The words she's recorded on the tapes include the thirteen reasons she has decided to end her life. The directions are for Clay to listen to them, and then pass them onto the next person on the list--and the list has thirteen people on it.

What makes this book unique is that the reader knows what happens before the book even begins. We know the ending won't be good--yet we are compelled to read it anyway--and see into the tortured mind of a person whose life gets so bad she decides it's not worth living any more. This is a fantastic debut novel...I sure hope Jay Asher is busily writing something else!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I read this book last year & in 1 whole day. I remember taking it from Austin Carrillo in Mr. Nene's class [Mr. Neimeier] & taking it home because I couldn't stop reading it. I absolutely love this book, it's the best book I have ever read & I wish my library over here had it because I would definetly read this book over and over!
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete